Sunday 14 December 2014

Meeting Room 18, my classroom!

Exciting post yay! 
Today the deputy principal (DP) invited me to school to touch base about next terms plans as a kind of induction process.

This first part of the post is from me pre-induction. It's 9.20am this beautiful Monday morning and in about 10 minutes I'm off to my school to find out everything I need ready to go before Term 1. I'm guessing/hoping it will be a sort of "newbies guide to getting teacher organised". I'm very lucky to already know a lot about the school as I did my final teaching prac there.

Right now I would say I am feeling...

Excited (The kind of jumpy, jittering excitement where I just want to be in my car already on the way there but I know if I leave now I'll be 15-20 minutes early sitting outside the locked school door.)

Prepared (I am ready to go with all my paperwork filled out, notebook and pen in hand and my 2015 Innovative Teachers Companion Diary.)

Unprepared (I am not ready for this. Deep breathing in...1....2....3.)

Nauseous (Why oh why butter chicken, why?)

Okay, I'm ready (I just had my green tea with an extra scoop of cement, it's not like this is a job interview, I've already got the job! I'll be off now. Wish me luck!) 

.......

It's now 1.50pm and I've just had some lunch (left over butter chicken, please be nice to me) and I have lots to tell! 

I got to school and sat in the staff room with my peppermint tea waiting for the DP to be ready for me. Once ready we chatted for a while and she gave me some advice about Term 1 next year. First up I'll be setting up my classroom in "week zero". Woah buddy, week zero, hello. That's new. So cool, I get to go in the week before Term starts and set up everything. My classroom is Room 18! This classroom is in the same corridor as two of the greatest preservice teacher mentors I've ever met, including my own mentor!

So after having a chat with the DP I walked to Room 18. First impression thoughts...






"Holy crap there's no furniture!" 









There were student chairs and tables all stacked to one side and 4 student computers on desks against the wall. Behind the door is a built in cupboard and the Smartboard.  


My next thoughts were...

"Ummm where do I put my stuff? Handbag? Teacher notebooks? Where do I sit?"

There was no teachers desk!

 



I went next door and found the teacher who, while on prac, was another mentor for another preservice teacher (I hope you read my blog Tash!). I said my hello's and asked her "um, should room 18 have more stuff in it?".
She came with me to have a look and decided we should go check with the DP. We did that. The DP said my room was supposed to have all the furniture from Room 19, the room which connects with mine. 
So lucky for me, the other prac mentor helped me move tray cupboards, filing cabinets, shelves, a whiteboard on wheels and a teachers desk. 
Bam, my empty rooms looking more like a classroom!















The small filing cabinet was extremely heavy to move so we opened it up and.....















 


TEACHER GOLD MINE...

BUTT LOADS OF STATIONERY AND BOOKS. YOU NAME IT BUDDY I GOT IT.

So that's cool.

The carpets are getting cleaned at the school this week so I can't start set-up as of yet. I don't need to go back until week zero next year before Term 1 commences.
Now to go buy a laminator and start my classroom preparations at home!

Thanks for reading!
Watch this space for more posts about preparations and setting up my classroom. If you're reading this post on your phone subscribe by entering your email address into the box below where it says Subscribe to Edumacate Me.

        Kirsten :)

4 comments:

  1. U are an amazing person with such a beautiful heart thats why we love u dearly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Sharna, thank you. Love you guys, my family forever.

      Delete
  2. Nice score. Some teachers EMPTY the room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sooo excited hun!! Can't wait to see what you do to the room next year!! Lucky little kids who get you as their teacher next year!! X

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment!